A Walk in the Woods

I thought I'd share a little story with you.  It's sort of a "behind the scenes" as to why I decided to change the graphics style for Trabae(tent.).



    It all started while I was trying to think of a story for my game.  I grabbed a notebook, some index cards, and a couple pencils.  I laid out in a recliner and started thinking, "How in the world could I make a story about a ball jumping around on some boxes?"  I couldn't think of anything that I liked.  Since the graphics were pretty boring anyway, I started trying to come up with a story that didn't have to fit the graphics.  So I came up with a great story.  I loved it.(I might share it soon)  But there were some problems.  Having an advanced story requires much more work.  And I would also have to do a lot of 3d modeling, something that I have no experience at.  So I had a tough decision.  Go all out trying to make an INCREDIBLE game, or take the easy road and just settle for "a very nice game".  This was an important decision. So I decided to take a walk out in the woods and see if I could make a decision.

     As I started my walk, I took a direct approach.  "Why should I change the game?"
     "Because I want this game to be the best it can be.  I don't want to settle for second best."
     "Okay, so why should I not make the game?"
     "Because I don't think I can do it.  All of my 3d models will look terrible.  I'll have to put a whole lot more effort into my game.  And I'm scared that it will turn out to be a failure; and I'll have wasted all that time."  I still couldn't make up my mind, both arguments were valid.  So I sat down on a rock and started to try and go about my decision a bit more indirectly.  So I asked myself this question: "Why am I even making games?"  Well, being a Christian I believe that all men are created in the image of God; The creator of the universe.  So man naturally has a desire to create.  "So why do I make games and not something else?"  Well to answer that question I should go back to when I first started making games.  It all started one day when I was playing around with MS paint.  I'd drawn Mario, a warp pip, and a goomba or two.  I then used the select tool and drug Mario around the screen, making him jump and fall.  I then thought, "Hmm, maybe I can make my own computer game."  And with some help from google I found Game Maker.  Video games had always been something only the 'professionals' could make.  But now  can make video games.  I can do something I thought I would never be able to do!  So that's why I make video games, to do something I don't think I can do!
 
      I can't dedicate my self enough to finish Trabae(tent.)
      I can't make nice 3d models
      I can't have a detailed story

      I can't make an incredible game

     So I'm going to dedicate myself enough to finish Trabae.  I'm going to make nice 3d models, a detailed story, and an incredible game.  Even if it fails miserably, maybe I'll still learn a few things along the way.  Who knows?



Comments